Well, it’s a new year… and I’m having a hard time wanting to reflect back on 2009. I’ve been in kind of a grumpy mood and I keep focusing on the downer moments… starting the year off with a rough half-marathon and DNFing a marathon a couple weeks later to finishing the year with a rough half-marathon and being sick! I’m sure there were happy moments in there… on yeah, I won a trip to Washington DC to run the Global Race for the Cure with my mom and I did have some good races… it wasn’t all bad!
It’s kind of strange to look at 2010 without any solid goal races on the horizon… but I’m playing it by ear. I’m sure what is supposed to happen will! Here are a few things that I know I would like to do though:
- I would like to make an effort to do some more consistent cross-training this year, but that may involve getting a gym membership again and I am NOT doing that for January 1… I used to get so annoyed with the New Year Rush at the gym when I was consistently going to a gym and I don’t want to be “that person”. 😉
- I’m going to log my miles religiously this year. I’ve seen all these posts on other blogs and twitter of people who have logged 1000 or 2000 miles in the past year. I think I’ve got about 800-900 miles logged in various places, but I’m going to keep all miles in Daily Mile and SportTracks so I can get cute little graphs to show me how hard I’ve worked.
- I’m going to include more photos (and possibly video) of myself on my blog. I LOVE seeing other bloggers include photos of themselves in their posts. I shy away from doing that frequently because I’m too harsh on myself, I’m very quick to pick out my “flaws” in photos. I need to get past that and this seems like a good way to accomplish that goal.
- Tying into the previous one… I’m going to try taking photos on more of my runs. Basically, just allowing myself to be a little more playful and laid back during runs.
- I’m going to use more of the features on my Garmin. Things like pre-programmed workouts could be very helpful. And the virtual running partner? I’ve never even met the person! If I’ve got all these things available to me, I might as well learn how to use them.
I ran 3.1 miles at 7:00 AM today, in my book that was the perfect way to start off the New Year. And as part of that, I even snapped a couple of pictures to post here… Gotta be good at the New Year’s goals on the first day, right?
I look forward to continuing to build this great online community, the support and encouragement I receive from all of you really make it possible for me to continue each and every day! Let’s make 2010 a great year together – Happy New Year!
It’s funny you mentioned the virtual partner, because I woke up thinking about it today! I’m going to use it too! I like your 2010 goals!
You have a pretty fantastic little list there 🙂
Can’t wait to see all of your new fab photos, and hope that the new year treats you well!
You and I are in the same boat. I’ve wanted to write a post all day about my New Year’s goals, etc, and I’ve been in a pretty grumpy mood (I would have used a different word that starts with p, has a few ss’s and ends in y) myself. Those are some great goals though; I’m going to try to log all my miles in the same place as well, and try for 1000 this year. And, I’m glad you’re feeling better, it’s a long recovery but that’s the flu, right? Yuck. 😦 Keep writing, dear, you’re wanted here in the bloggy world!
I am so glad I found you along the way- yours is one of my favorite blogs 🙂 I look forward to keeping up with you over this year and hopefully meeting you in Vegas next Dec!
I love your goals! And I’ll admit, I succumbed and rejoined my Gym today (I let my membership lapse a few years ago when I started running, but I need the machines since I can’t run right now, so I re-upped), but I completely thought of myself as “that person” soooo funny you called it that, as it was completely what I was thinking. ((sigh))
Get Snapsure for your iPhone, it’s a camera Ap and it allows you to take a picture by touching the screen and not the little button at the bottom. It makes the self-portrait MUCH easier. I think it costs a couple of bucks, but it’s the BEST little Ap I’ve purchased (and I don’t buy many of ’em).
Happy New Year Jill!
don’t be so shy, and don’t be so hard on yourself! (a lesson i could afford to listen to myself) 🙂
here’s to 2010! i laughed at your gym comment… january/february are my least favorite for that reason! i almost want to tell those people to just give up already 😉
for the iphone – “gorilla cam” is a free app where you can touch any part of the screen to snap a pic.
Great to see you, Jill! And I look forward to your mile-logging in the coming year.
[…] calling this my Self-Portrait Project and I briefly mentioned that I would be doing this in my Happy New Year! post. But I thought I would take a moment to further explain the reasoning behind […]
[…] 2010 by Jill Will Run In addition to the Self-Portrait Project, another item I mentioned in my Happy New Year post was that I wanted to work on using more of the features of my Garmin Forerunner 305. […]
[…] the beginning of the year I said I was going to take a photo on every single run throughout the year. Well, that […]