I’m a big fan of ChiRunning, I really think that the principles help build a more consistent and injury-resistant runner. So when I heard there was an official ChiRunning app… I was really excited to try it out.
- Built-in Metronome so you can keep your cadence on track.
- GPS tracker logs your distance, pace, elevation, time, etc.
- Walks you through pre-run looseners and post-run stretches.
- Danny Dreyer’s voice pipes in with reminders of the different Chi Focuses to keep you on form.
- You can choose to turn any of those items on/off and still use the tracking.
- Links you straight into the Chi Blog for regular updates from the ChiRunning world.
- Video Chi Lessons, Body Looseners and Post-Run Stretches available to watch. Watching ChiRunning technique helps immensely over just reading about it.
- I can’t set the frequency with which I receive the Chi Focuses reminders. This is seriously annoying. I guess if I want to go out and do a 10-minute run in which I get those reminders pretty constantly, that’s one thing. But to use this for all of my runs… it would get annoying! (Sorry Danny, I still think you’re awesome.)
So it’s one bad thing… but it’s kind of a big thing because it prevents me from wanting to use it for a long run. It would be nice if you could start the tracking and set it to remind you of a Chi Focus every 5-10-15 minutes. Especially for a long run… you start getting over 60 minutes running and form starts to slip? Oh… here comes Danny with a nice little reminder to pay attention.
I’m a moron! This is totally an option and I missed it!
It’s a solid entry, but I think it has room for improvement. And while I think ChiRunning is awesome, do I think the app is worth $9.99? No… Perhaps more in the $3.99-$4.99 range.
I think can set the frequency you hear the focuses, you have the choice of 1,2,3,5,10 or 15 min intervals. Just click on “chi focuses” and under “run type” it says “interval of focus” and you can choose there.
Ah… There it is! Thanks!
Can you select the frequency at which you hear the metronome? I wouldn’t want to have the metronome on the whole run (might annoy me and anyone near me, as during Team In Training runs, we’re not allowed to use earbuds).