The Heat Is On!

Wow… I’ve had some warm runs over the past week! Whew…

Last Sunday was hard, I already wrote about that. I ran Tuesday and Wednesday in the evening, around 7:00 PM. It was 107 and 104 each of those evenings. But at least the sun was lower in the sky.

On Thursday I had plans for dinner with a friend, so I ran at 4:30 PM. As I was working it got cloudy around 3 PM. I have one of those crazy weather things in my office with a sensor in the backyard and it dropped to around 95 degrees as the clouds moved in, so I thought I’d be okay. Naturally, the clouds rolled right out and the temps rocketed back up to 105 by the time I headed out for my run.

Last summer I ran early in the morning on weekdays, at about 4:30 AM. I would just get up, throw on some running clothes and head out. But lately I seem to have some terrible stomach cramps if I just get up and run without putting something in my belly first. I have to be working by 7:00 AM, so I don’t have a ton of wiggle room in the mornings. So in an effort to avoid the stomach cramping, I ran in the evenings this week. But I do miss the early morning, sunrise runs. I need to figure out a fix!

Today I was excited to get up early for my run. Yes, excited to wake up at 4:00 AM because I could hopefully get the chance to run in the mid 80’s. (That’s kind of a weird thing to be excited about, huh?) If I get up that early, I can pop my thyroid pill, take the time to get dressed and get stuff together before I eat, then let that settle a little and be out the door by 6:15 or 6:30.

I ran 13.5 miles this morning and it felt pretty good overall. Yes, it was still pretty hot. And I learned that I should wear a hat whenever I run. The system of barrettes and a headband combined with sweat and distance made my hair look a little like that crazy Nick Nolte mug shot.
Nick Nolte
Hats are now required until I can wear my hair in a ponytail.

I had to take a few walk breaks. And this run was a little bit too long to go without finding an alternate source of liquid. I just carried my handheld Amphipod (with the new insulator sleeve) and should have planned a couple of loops with a stop at my house in between to refill. Warm liquids still hydrate, but they don’t really refresh!

I think I’m still acclimating to the heat. It seems to be slower to happen this year than it did last year. Bummer…

So I have a question for all of you… how far in advance do you have to get up in the mornings before you can set out for a run?


  1. how hot was it today??? Are you nuts woman!!!

    I get up about 15 minutes before I go out-that is for my short 3 milers before work.

    I like your Amphipod water bottle-how cool is that. I run with nathans but I like the way your bottle molds to the hand form!

  2. If I am running shorter than 5 miles, I can usually get away with 15-20 minutes before running. If it is longer, I actually need close to an hour so I can at least eat a Luna bar and…um… take care of business so I don’t have to search desperately during my run. Getting a run in before being at work by 7 would be REALLY tough for me.

  3. I don’t see how you deal with all that heat!! I was suffering this weekend with it being 83 degrees. I only run in the morning on the weekends and usually I have to be up a good hour or so before I take off…unless it is a short run.

  4. I was whining about the “heat” on Saturday because I didn’t get out until 7:30, and it was over 70 degrees when I finished. I guess I’m just a heat wimp!

    It takes me 12 minutes to get out of bed, let the dogs out, and be on the road for my normal week-day run. I timed it today just for the purposes of posting it. I don’t think I hurried just for a good time.

  5. How I know I could never run badwater (even if it was a 5k): I whine when it is 90 degree and above! You are awesome for sticking it out πŸ™‚

  6. ohh last week it was 80+ when i would get up at pre-6am to run. sure, not quite as extreme as your 100s but hey, hot is hot! πŸ™‚

    some days i can get up and be out on a run in 15-20 minutes and other days it takes me an hour or two … πŸ™‚ obviously on those days i’m lacking a bit of motivation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s