Arien O’Connell, the woman with the fastest time at the recent Nike Women’s Marathon who wasn’t the winner because she didn’t run with the elites… has received recognition from Reebok. Apparently Reebok gave her a trophy, free running shoes, free t-shirts and a donation to the school where she is a teacher. Read the full article.
Also, ~moe~ has bestowed a blogging award upon my site. Here’s what she said about my site and why she was awarding this to me:
“total running blogger so I love her blog. I found her via Bethany so that makes her doubly cool. Jill is also a fellow marathoner and is a training maniac. I hope I can channel her energy over the next few weeks.”
As a recipient of this award I’m supposed to list 6 things that make me happy. After that I pick 6 bloggers to receive this award as well.
Things that make me happy:
1. Eating at new and unique restaurants. Even if my food isn’t tasty, it’s still fun to try something different.
2. Running & yoga. These are two things that I’ve come to need and crave in my life. And they’re so complementary, they really work in sync with one another.
3. New running gear and toys. I love getting new stuff and trying it out. I would love to have new things all the time so I could write reviews and share my finds with everyone via my site.
4. Movie night with my husband. It’s one of the highlights of my week. We’re so busy with work that it is the one time we can always count on to just chill with each other.
5. Being pampered. I don’t do these things as often as I should; but when I get a haircut, a pedicure, a massage… I feel like a new person.
6. Family… I have an awesome family. My parents rock, my brother is awesome, my extended family is always there for me, I’ve got great in-laws and my husband is DA BOMB! Seriously, I am a lucky gal.
Now, to pass the award on:
Alissa has overcome some challenges that are very similar to things I’ve experienced, so I feel like she’s a kindred spirit in many ways. Plus, she has managed to get through marathon training in the desert, summer heat, like me!
Chris has been very supportive of me during my fundraising efforts, even helping to spread the word on his own site. He’s pretty inspiring too because he somehow manages to squeeze in running with all of his business travel.
Jenn has a great sense of humor, she and her husband Mike have both given me some great encouragement. She’s got Chicago ’09 on her training plan now, I know she can do it!
Lisa gives me hope that you can balance running, fitness and family. She’s got a great outlook on all those items, truly someone that I admire.
Rachel has got me beat in that she’s just 23 and is a lot better about taking care of herself than I was at that age. She’s got a job (maybe two soon!) and graduate school on her plate, but she still fits in her workouts whenever possible.
Terri’s site may say she’s the “Middle-of-the-Pack Girl”, but she’s always on top of music recommendations, books, stories and encouragement. Plus, how can I not love someone that works in libraries? I worked in a library for many years and definitely have a fondness for them still!
I’ll be back tomorrow with my report on my very last team training of the season!