I was recently contacted by Sony about their latest product in the Walkman line. My first thought when I hear “Walkman” is to still associate that with a little tape player like I had in the 80′s, but the company has been keeping up with technology and their latest offering sounds pretty cool.
Sony NWZ-W252 Walkman MP3 Player
Wireless, water-resistant headphones/audio player designed for runners. (Or for any fitness endeavor, except perhaps deep-sea diving… I doubt it works for that!)
Here are the details as they explained them:
- Design – its lightweight, water-resistant frame ensures proper functionality during extended periods of activity inside or outside – even in the rain.
- 2GB of maximum capacity – holds approximately 470 songs
- Quick Charge Option – for on-the-go or those who have forgotten to charge, charge 3 minutes for up to 90 minutes of play time. Full battery life is approximately 11 hours
- Easy Music Transfer – Content Transfer software allows users to move music files and playlists straight from a PC/iTunes library
- $60 available at www.sonystyle.com, Sony Style retail stores & other authorized retailers nationwide
I have heard countless stories (and even told them myself) about people gearing up to do a run only to discover their mp3 player is dead, so the quick charge function sounds pretty cool. And I hate having cords dangling all over while I’m running, I’m very graceful and manage to get my arm wrapped in the cord at times to yank the bud from my ear! And water-resistant should mean sweat-proof, right? Or maybe I could even listen to them while showering! (I’m kidding… a little… maybe… kind of!)
I do typically run with one earbud not in so I can hear the world around me, and this design doesn’t look like it would allow for that. (Any headphone manufacturers want to hear my ideas for the perfect set-up for running? All I would ask is that you name it the “Jill Will Run” model and give me some of the profits! LOL!) But this does look like a pretty cool option. I’ve heard lots and lots of runners out there in the blogosphere complain about how they can’t find the perfect solution. And if these worked comfortably, I would consider using them as my main workout headphones, even if I do still carry my iPhone on my arm for security purposes.
What do you guys think? Would wireless, sweatproof, all-in-one headphones/mp3 player intrigue you or are you already devoted to a specific product? Even better, chime in with the features you would want on your dream headphones/audio player for running? Let your voice be heard!