I was stoked about that. Because I had started to read more and more about acupressure mats and their supposed benefits. Some of the benefits I found online:
- Reduce pain in back, neck, shoulders, hips and other joints
- Alleviate muscle tension
- Improve circulation
- Increase oxygen uptake
- Reduce stress
- Aids relaxation
- Improve sleep
- Improve digestion
- Reduce cellulite
Sounds like a path to a perfect life, right?
Might be a tall order to fill, but I’m game to try…
So starting on August 1 I invented a short program for myself using the Vila Mat. I decided on the positions I would use based on my own tight spots and recommendations from various sources around the WWW on ways to use these types of mats.
- 5 minutes on my right hip/thigh
- 5 minutes on my left hip/thigh
- 5 minutes on my glutes and hamstrings
- 10 minutes on my back
I planned to do this every day, then each week increase the time on each of the steps by 1 or 2 minutes.
I’ll post my experience on this exercise at the end of the month, but since August is already one week in… I thought I’d at least give you a brief synopsis.
- Laying on my hips/thighs on the mat was EXCRUCIATING the first few times. Now it is merely a little uncomfortable.
- Sitting on it to hit my glutes/hamstrings just seems kind of awkward.
- Laying on it on my back, feels really nice. I could probably fall asleep on it this way.
Despite any initial discomfort, each time I’ve gotten off the mat I’ve felt more calm and centered. And I truly feel like I can breathe easier.
Check back at the end of August, I’ll have another recap of how the month as gone.
Disclaimer: Vila sent me this mat free of charge for review/evaluation. Coming up with this program and the thoughts on it are entirely my own.