This morning we had 7 miles on tap for the running group, 6 miles for the walkers. I really hate that we have the walkers doing fewer miles than the runners as the distance increases. Ultimately they will be covering the same distance, so it just seems odd to me. But when there is an entire group and they’re trying to encourage group interaction plus wrapping up training at a decent time, I guess this is the only solution that everyone can agree upon. I’m curious how other Teams around the country handle these types of things.
There were both positive and negative things about our training location for this distance. We trained at the soccer park where I normally run with the Fleet Feet group on Tuesday nights.
– The course is enclosed and off the streets
– We could set-up water at one spot and it was easily accessible to the group
– Plenty of bathrooms around the loop for pit stops as needed
– Water fountains around the path.
– In order to cover 7 miles, the group had to do 4 laps around the loop.
– The Las Vegas mayor Oscar Goodman was sponsoring some 1.5 mile walk at the same place, so we had to compete for space against that crowd. That crowd consisted of fairly slow walkers with dogs and strollers, it was a mess!
It was about 67 degrees when we started and it was 70 when we finished (according to my car thermometer). I was surprised it wasn’t hotter than that because it felt pretty warm. It wasn’t too bad, but I think the fact that the sun was out and there was no breeze just made it feel a little warmer than it might have been. But I actually enjoyed it, it was a beautiful morning.
After the run, a lot of the group headed down the road to Bagel Cafe for breakfast and to work on recommitment papers. We should have a fairly good sized group recommit. We need at least 24 to recommit in order for both coaches to be able to go to Napa for the race. Monday is the final day to submit the papers, so we’ll see after that!
We’re moving into a step back week now, good chance to let the Team rest up a little. Weekday mileage is slightly reduced and our weekend long run is only 5 miles next Saturday. But we’ll also have a lunchtime BBQ on Saturday too as a celebration for all those who have recommitted.
I am coaching a group of runners for the organization Team Challenge. They are fundraising for the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America while training to run the Napa to Sonoma half marathon in July.