Race Day Jittery

I tossed and turned all night long, turning to look at the clock only to find that a mere 10 or 15 minutes had passed since the last check. Finally giving up, I got up to get dressed. I tried to be quiet, so as not to disturb my still sleeping husband.

Once I was all dressed, I headed down to the kitchen for breakfast. My stomach was churning, full of butterflies and anxiety. But I knew that I should have something in my stomach if I was going to make it through the morning. I gathered my things together, filled my water bottle and got in my car.

Yes, it was full on race day nerves… and I wasn’t even racing.

But I was taking care of the timing for a 10K/5K… and knowing that all those runners would be counting on me to provide them with accurate timing was SCARY!

Let’s back up a little, shall we? My friends Molly and Jimmy started a company, Desert Sky Adventures (DSA). The company does race management, coaching, motivation, etc. They have picked up control of some premier ultra races – Rio Del Lago 100 and Helen Klein Ultra Classic. But the year’s schedule is also filling up with a lot more races around the Las Vegas area, including a series of races for the local Fleet Feet store. And that’s what today’s event was – the first in the Fleet Feet Sports series.

I’m not an owner in DSA, but I am a part of the crew. I take care of the web site and I got the honor of handling timing today… which completely freaked me out! I mean, so many people put soooo much stock in their times. I was terrified that things would go wrong.

But once it was all said and done, the race came off beautifully. Sure, there were a couple of little hitches but I think most things were ironed out. I had the results posted on the web within 2 hours of the race being over, so I pretty much rock compared to other race organizers. 🙂

The day has given me a whole new perspective on races and registration, something I’ll post on soon. But for now, I’m tired. I got up early after very little sleep, came home to post race results and then immediately hit the road for a 6.7 mile run when I wasn’t very well fueled or hydrated. I’m in dire need of some groceries and have a ton of laundry in need of washing. Stuff needs to be done!

I’ll leave you with my weekly running pics:
02-08-10 Run 02-09-10 Run 02-11-10 Run 02-13-10 Run


  1. Yay, good for you helping out with timing! It’s awesome to see the “nuts and bolts” of the operation and volunteer to get things organized for the racers, they ALWAYS appreciate a job well done! Have fun with the laundry… 🙂

  2. Very cool! Congratulations to DSA on their first race!!! I am sure the runners loved it. Two hours until results were posted? That is awesome. Way to go!

  3. Jill – awesome job! I am always amazed and thankful for all of the great volunteers at the races. To have the times posted in 2-hours is simply incredible.

    Way to go Jill!

  4. ohh man. i’d be nervous too if i was in charge of timing! you know how some of those runners get over timing… eeks! fun to work ‘behind the scenes’ though.

  5. You did awesome one Saturday. I am so glad you are part of the team. You may not be an owner but that does not mean you are not any less valuable to us! Thank you for your hard work!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s