African Groundnut Stew
Recipe type: Stew
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces green chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ Tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups sweet potato, chopped into small cubes
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ cup creamy natural peanut butter
- salt & pepper
- 1½ cups cooked black eyed peas (a can drained and rinsed would work)
- 1 cup chopped frozen spinach
- ¼ cup unsalted peanuts
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, cover and cook, stirring a few times, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chiles, ginger, brown sugar, cinnamon and cumin. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes and stir to coat with the spices.
- Add 1½ cups of water. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Put the peanut butter in a small bowl and slowly ¼ cup water, stirring until smooth. Add the peanut butter mixture into the stew. Simmer about 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender.
- Add the black-eyed peas and spinach. Simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Before serving, taste to adjust the seasonings.
- Garnish with peanuts, chopped or whole.
Serve with cornbread on the side.
Recipe by Jill Will Run at http://jillwillrun.com/2013/01/02/african-groundnut-stew/