I don’t fancy myself a chef. For a while I was obsessed with recipes, but that was partly due to the fact that I was starving. But I do still enjoy when I put together something that is super simple and super tasty. Since we included quinoa on our list of The Best Minimally Processed Foods for Runners over on The RUNiverse and cherries are known to help reduce inflammation, I thought I would share a “recipe” with you.
Recipe is in quotes there because it’s not really something to measure out in precise amounts. Whatever feels right to you!
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups liquid (broth, water, or combination of the two)
- Dried tart cherries
- 1 cup cooked white beans (1 can, drained and rinsed works)
- Sliced Almonds
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Goat Cheese
- Rinse and drain the quinoa.
- Put the quinoa in a pot, add the water/broth.
- Bring liquids to a boil, reduce heat and cover.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, then add dried cherries. Add a little more liquid if it seems to be cooking off too fast. Re-cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, stir to combine.
- Top with balsamic vinaigrette, almonds and goat cheese to taste.
- Tastes good warm or cold!