We have a cookbook from my hubby’s side of the family; everybody provided recipes, it was printed and we all received a copy. (Somehow, every recipe that was mine ended up being titled “Jill’s”. That makes it sound like I’m such a culinary genius!)
Anyway, Kevin’s older sister contributed a recipe for Chocolate “Delivery” Pie… a pie that is supposed to make you go into labor within 3 days of consuming. We stopped at the grocery store Friday night after dinner so I could get some fresh fruit and nut butter (completely out, the horrors!) and Kevin said, “We need to buy the ingredients for delivery pie!” Of course, we didn’t remember what they were and Googling from the iPhones was unsuccessful, so we had to go home, find the recipe and then go back out to buy ingredients.
This is not a classy recipe… in fact, 99.9% of the time I probably wouldn’t consider making this… but desperate times desperate measures, right?
- 15 crushed Oreo cookies
- ½ stick melted butter
- ¾ c. milk
- 8 oz. milk chocolate
- 15 oz. Cool Whip
- 2½ c. mini marshmallows
- 2 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
- Make crust out of Oreos and melted butter. Press into a 10″ deep pie pan.
- Pour milk, marshmallows, milk chocolate, baking chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, pausing to stir frequently. Be sure it is mixed well and everything is melted together.
- Cool completely.
- Fold Cool Whip into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into crust and chill.
- Garnish with crushed Oreos or chocolate shavings.
I also got the following tweet sent my way on Friday:
@jillwillrun eat egg plant parmesean. i guarantee 48 hours that baby is coming out. check it out on the internet. worked for me in 24 hours.
— Stephanie CWard (@stephaniecward) August 18, 2012
Seems like I need to eat until I make myself sick…
Other things I’m trying:
- Sit and bounce on an exercise ball
- Squat deep and low. Sit on a stack of books or a couple of yoga blocks and try to hang out in the squat for a while.
- Walking around or standing up. As much as I want to lay down out of discomfort, I’m trying to keep myself upright, in hopes that gravity has an effect!
- Relaxation & deep breathing
Things I’ve heard that I’m not trying:
- Give yourself an enema (Laxative effect, okay…)
- Drink castor oil (more pooping)
- Eat spicy foods (pregnancy heartburn has been bad enough)
- Turkey dinner (way too much bother)
- Dance naked in the moonlight (just insane)
What are the “old wives” tales or more natural ways of triggering labor that you’ve heard?