I am 38 weeks pregnant. That should sum it up, right?
- Every one of my joints hurts.
- My hands and wrists in particular are really painful. Pregnancy carpal-tunnel?
- I’m tired of dressing like a slob, but it’s really the most comfortable approach.
- My stomach feels stretched to the limit.
- Baby movements hurt.
- I feel slightly queasy and dizzy frequently.
- Contractions throughout the day every day are tiresome.
I went to my midwife this morning, good ol’ weekly checkups. I declined the dilation check. It’s not required and isn’t that comfortable, my thoughts are, “If I am, I am. If I’m not, I’m not.” Supposedly my body will keep me updated on when things “get real.”
My fundal height throughout has always measured spot-on for the week I’m in, or even a centimeter lower. Well, today it measured a week ahead of schedule. And when my midwife was feeling my stomach she said, “Your stomach is so tight, there’s no room for baby to grow in there anymore.”
My midwife is leaving town tonight through the 13th. And she kept talking to me like someone else was going to deliver for me, “You’re going to do great no matter who helps you. I’ll make sure that everyone knows to talk to you in terms of the marathon. When I see you again…”
I’m super stressed about things at work, people keep telling me, “I can’t get that for you this week… but I’ll have it done next week, okay?” Sure… even though you told me you’d have it initially done 4-5 weeks ago!
I feel like all of this means that I will have a baby next week.
On one hand, I am SOOOOOOO ready to get this baby out of me. On the other hand, I then have to deal with the whole, “What the hell? Who gave me this baby and decided I should take care of it? Don’t they know I am not qualified?” Not to worry… we were given this book to help us figure all that stuff out! Plus the wheel of responsibility has tilted toward “Dad” doing things so far, Kevin gets the first 30 diaper changes or so based on that!
I’m intrigued to know what gender this baby is… I guess we can have either one now, we’ve come up with a list of names that we like for boys and girls. I guess a name is something you need to have fairly early on!
We still don’t have:
- a diaper bag (I will see what I get at the hospital. I don’t know what makes a good one anyway!)
- a breast pump (still perplexed on how high tech I should go, manual/electric or single/double)
- a baby bath tub (I imagine I’ll need that pretty soon, but don’t know what to get)
- a clue.